Candles And Birds Don’t Mix! Please Keep That In Mind and don’t burn candles around our feathered friends. Some candles have been found to be toxic to birds. Please Don’t Take A Chance.

Did you know that candles have a memory?

  • The point that the candle has melted to around the wick, the first time you burn it, is the way it will burn for the rest of it’s life. If you only burn it a quarter size around the wick and then blow it out, it will only burn a quarter size every time you burn it after that. The first time you burn your candle you want to burn it until it has melted all the way to the edges. It will normally take between 2 to 3 hours to melt all the way around. That way you will use all of your wax. The next time you burn your candle it should automatically burn all the way to the edge within 30 minutes to an hour.

Drafts!

  • If there is a draft where your candle is burning, it will not melt correctly. The draft will make the candle burn faster on one side than the other. So make sure your candle is in a draft free area.

Wicks!

  • Your wick should not smoke at all! If it does it needs to be trimmed. If you notice your jar becoming black, you are not trimming the wick enough. You should keep your wick trimmed to 1/4 inch or shorter at all times. We usually judge by lighting the wick, if it smokes blow it out and trim a little until it is no longer smoking. This also means if you burn the candle for 6 hours at a time you will need to blow it out and trim the wick occasionally. If your wick is left too long it will also melt the wax at a much faster rate and your candle will not last as long as it should.
  • Sometimes your wick will form a small black mushroom cap at the top of the wick as it burns. This is normal. Just be sure to trim it off before you light the candle each time.
  • When you blow your candle out it will smoke, to keep it from doing this, blow the wick out and then use a toothpick to dip the wick into the wax. But be sure to pull the wick back out of the wax or the wax will harden and you will not be able to light the wick the next time. If for some reason your wick should ever get stuck in the hardened wax, you can place the candle on it’s side and on a piece of card board. Take a blow dryer using heat and melt the top layer until you can reach the wick with a toothpick.
  • PLEASE! Do NOT put your candles in the microwave!! Our wax has a flashpoint of 250 degree’s and it will explode. If you happen to have a little wax left in the bottom you can put the jar in the freezer and the wax will separate from the jar.

Enjoy your Candles!!!

The Candle Cafe and it’s owner’s take no responsibility for accidents while using these tips. Consumer assumes all liability. So please be careful!